Fall 2021: CX4640 Numerical Analysis 1
Introduction to fundamental algorithms and analysis of numerical methods commonly used by scientists, mathematicians, and engineers.
- Linear and Discrete Mathematics (MATH 2602)
- Differential Equations (MATH 2403/2413)
- Intermediate-level expertise of Python, Matlab, Julia, Mathematica, C/C++, Fortran, or similar
- Finite precision computation, sources of error, stability, conditioning
- Linear systems of equations
- Linear least squares
- Eigenvalue problems
- Solution of nonlinear equations
- Interpolation and approximation
- Numerical differentiation and integration
- Numerical solution of ordinary differential equations
- Numerical solution of partial differential equations
- 5% Participation
- 10% Homework
- 25% Midterm 1 (take-home)
- 25% Midterm 2 (take-home)
- 35% Final project (take-home)
Your final grade will be assigned as a letter grade according to the following scale.
- A: 90-100%
- B: 80-89%
- C: 70-79%
- D: 60-69%
- F: 0-59%
Michael Heath, Scientific Computing: An Introductory Survey (Revised Second Edition)
Course expectations and guidelines
Georgia Tech aims to cultivate a community based on trust, academic integrity, and honor.
Students are expected to act according to the highest ethical standards.
Any student suspected of cheating or plagiarizing on a quiz, exam, or assignment will be reported to the Office of Student Integrity, which will investigate the incident and identify the appropriate penalty for violations.
- Homework and midterms: These are to be completed on your own.
No collaboration is acceptable.
- Final project: Intellectual collaboration is acceptable, though all “hands on” work is to be your own.
This includes your code and your report.
Assignments submitted late are subject to a 20% penalty per day late.
If you are a student with learning needs that require special accommodation, contact the Office of Disability Services at (404) 894-2563 or their website, as soon as possible, to discuss your needs and to obtain an accommodations letter. Then, make an appointment with me as soon as possible to discuss your learning needs.
Supporting video resources
- Floating point numbers
- Linear algebra refresher
- Least squares
- Numerical time integration
- Numerical integration and quadrature
- Differential equations refresher